Tuesday 21 November 2017

#WEPFF WRITE…EDIT…PUBLISH… DARK PLACES WINNER ELEPHANT’S CHILD ON THE AWE AND WONDER OF BEING A WRITER


We are thrilled to have Elephant’s Child, the winner of the WEP October Challenge – DARK PLACES here to discuss the Awe and Wonder of being a writer. Her winning piece is
Congratulations, Sue!
AWE AND WONDER


When Yolanda sent me the email telling me that I had won the Halloween WEPI was shocked (my first reaction was to reply asking if she had sent the email to the right person).  After assuring me no mistake had been made, she reminded me that I was expected to do a guest post - and the subject was up to me.

So I am going to write about what WEP means to me.  All of us wear labels.  Some are foisted on us, some we choose, some we aspire to.  The label I am most comfortable with is appreciator.


I don't remember how I first found WEP but I loved it from my very first visit.  Reading is one of my obsessions and I was given a giant smorgasbord of excellent writing to revel in.  Polished, imaginative pieces.  All based around a common theme, all so very different.  Many of them find permanent niches in my head and heart.

 So I bookmarked the site, read and cheered.  D.G Hudson encouraged me to dip my toes in further.  I love words but am a dabbler rather than a writer.  I surprised myself, took the challenge and jumped in.

And was met with nothing but kindness and support.  Incredible and generous support.

Since then I have participated in some challenges but always read all of the submissions even when I wasn't able to participate.  I read them with awe and wonder, marvelling at the talent and expertise on display.  In the challenges I have entered I feel inadequate, over-awed and outclassed from the first piece I read until the last.

But I need to stress that inadequacy is a personal foible.   The organisers, the other participants and the readers have never fanned those embers in any way.

WEP gives me excellent reading, a safe place to play and incredible support.  Who can ask for more?

So huge thanks are in order.  To Denise, to Yolanda, to Olga, to Nilanjana and to all of you who participate.


Image result for images for writing

Thank you, thank you, thank you.  You have enriched my world. 

~~***~~

Thank you, Sue, we love that you’re an appreciator, an all-round participant, because you are also an amazing writer!

What about you, readers and writers, does reading inspire you?

Image result for images for writing

***

  
We'd love if you'd Tweet one/all of these:

The #WEPFF DARK PLACES Challenge Winner Guest Post with Elephant’s Child! @DeniseCCovey & @YolandaRenee https://writeeditpublishnow.blogspot.com/2017/11/wepff-writeeditpublish-dark-places.html



Celebrate with Sue our 1st place winner #WEPFF DARK PLACES October challenge #amwriting https://writeeditpublishnow.blogspot.com/2017/11/wepff-writeeditpublish-dark-places.html



#WEPFF October Challenge winner discusses the Awe & Wonder of being a writer @DeniseCCovey & @YolandaRenee https://writeeditpublishnow.blogspot.com/2017/11/wepff-writeeditpublish-dark-places.html  #amwriting #flashfiction


Please click the social media buttons to share this post!

  

And don't forget December is the
END IS THE BEGINNING CHALLENGE


For those of you who are enthusiastic about what WEP has to offer in 2018, click on the 2018 Challenge Page above or use this LINK.  It's all prepared. Please take the year badge and share it on your blog in December! 
Thank you!



30 comments:

  1. Hello Sue! It's so lovely to have such an enthusiastic supporter at WEP. We appreciate you so much, so appreciation is a two-way street. I hope this Christmas season is not too busy for you and we see your pen at work in the December challenge. If not, please relax, take those gorgeous photographs, and join us in 2018.

    Denise :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Denise. I suspect I will be in appreciator mode next month. Busy appreciator mode.

      Delete
  2. I look forward to the December entries. Elephant's Child's entry was great! No wonder it won.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ann Bennett: Thank you. I really DID think that Yolanda had sent me the email by mistake.

      Delete
  3. You are modest, EC,(I like your blogname) but it's difficult for us to have confidence in our own writing until we get support from other writers or readers. I guessed that a person who took such great images could also be creative in writing which is why I encouraged you. My writing didn't measure up either in my own mind, when I compared it to the poems and other stories I read. However, I know the more I write with the WEP challenges, the more it helps. Flash fiction was new to me. I'm still trying to get my head around it. . .Bravo to you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. D.G Hudson: You will perhaps be unsurprised to learn that I attribute the success of my photos to my camera. It does the hard work. It seems that lots of us are hard on ourselves doesn't it?

      Delete
  4. I loved your entry, love too your life/lit philosophy :) - do not underestimate yourself, Prestwich was a superb piece of work, kudos. This current post reminds me of Kipling's Six Honest Serving Men as does your blogname and persona.

    Truly appreciate your unwavering support. Look forward to your entry for December if you can fit WEP in, hope you can!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nilanjana Bose: All these comments exemplify the generous support I have found here.
      Not certain about December yet, but will certainly be cheering (loudly) from the side lines.

      Delete
  5. Jumping on in is the best way to be, never know what could occur, like winner, winner chicken dinner haha

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pat Hatt: My non-chicken eating self was certainly surprised.

      Delete
  6. You found a place and a group of people who've encouraged you to grow as a writer and that's always a blessing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. L. Diane Wolfe: And I found some incredible writing. Win/win.

      Delete
  7. A great big congratulation's Elephant's Child. Way to go.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I enjoyed your entry and appreciate your supportive comments. I too like the group of writers here on WEP :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is so exciting! Sue wins. I'm doing my happy dance and so glad you can't see me. Snoopy is much better at it than I am. Congratulations and bring on more stories.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Sue,
    I so identify with your words of appreciation. The WEP has become a solid part of my writing diet. It has given me so much over the past year and a half and I have grown. My writing has matured because I have allowed the themes from the WEP to challenge me and make me explore my world. Allowing this has improved my writing.
    So continue on. Hang in there with us. Let’s encourage one another as we move toward our individual goals.
    All the best.
    Shalom aleichem,
    Pat

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pat Garcia: WEP is a very welcome part of my reading diet. And an occasional part of my writing diet. And I am so grateful for the support and the encouragement when I venture out of my comfort zone.

      Delete
  11. Sue, your winning piece was wonderful. I know you don't consider yourself a writer, but you write beautifully. Case in point - your personal blog, which I subscribe to. I'm glad you found the time and inspiration to write for WEP. I hope we see more of your writing in the future.
    I like this bloghop and its diverse entries too. They always feed my imagination, and my own collaboration with WEP allowed me to develop both in the fields of writing as well as digital design.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Olga Godim: Thank you so much. WEP feeds so many of us, and we are all grateful for the work that you put in to it.

      Delete
  12. I tweeted for you. And big congrats to Elephant's Child. I really enjoy her blog and writing, and I'm so glad she won!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Congratulations, Sue! You definitely deserved to win the challenge. Your story was delightfully dark and imaginative. (NOW do you believe you're a writer? You should!)

    You appreciate the glory of books and reading? We appreciate everything about YOU.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Susan: That would be a no - but thank you. On all counts.

      Delete
  14. Congrats on the win Sue :) I have been out of the blogging/online world for a couple months, but I am always inspired by reading fellow author's writings. Doesn't matter if it is #1 NYT best sellers, or fellow bloggers practicing and honing their craft with prompt writing.

    This has been an amazing and encouraging site to visit, write to prompts, and read inspired stories. I am so glad you have joined in and shared your inventive stories. I'm looking forward to viewing more writings from you in 2018.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. dolorah, that is a truly lovely thing to say. Thank you.

      Delete

Have temporarily enabled comments without moderation. If the spammers hit us, it'll be reinstated.